- 90 students in our K-12 programs
- 93% of 12th graders involved 4 years or more graduated from high school!
- 180 volunteer tutors, camp/VBS counselors, event helpers, and clerical assistants
- 2 FIDA participants became home owners for the first time!
- 21 FIDA participants completed the Financial literacy class; 14 did mentoring
- 3 FIDA/Cville Works Initiative participants obtained Certified Nursing Assistant jobs!
- 2017 Summer programs: 8 boys in 5/8 Day Program; 3 girls to CitiKidz Camp, 6 boys to Camp Wabanna; 26 Bible Campers in C’ville; 20 children at VBS
- LOTS of faithful supporters from AL community to make these numbers a reality!!
- Tutor and STRIVE mentor, Jonathan Showalter, was honored as one of two 2017 Outstanding Mentors by the
Virginia Mentoring Partnership!
- Dylan Rosenthal moved to Norfolk but stays involved as our Digital Marketing Manager and STRIVE Assistant Coordinator
- Richard Feero became Director of Boys Programming and moved to his new office at 782 Prospect. Richard hired two young men from STRIVE as “leaders in training“
- Angel Feero brought her experience as an elementary school teacher to her new role as Johnson Tutoring
- The Philadelphia Eagles signed former participant Rashard Davis to its practice squad!
- The Board of Directors welcomed four new members: long-time neighborhood resident Carmelita Wood, Matthew Gillikin, Clay Daniels, and Jim Bleakley
- Jon and Megan Copper of Flourish Digital continued their behind-the-scenes work of giving us a “fresh face”
- DJ Carter became our Community Engagement Coordinator, focusing on family visiting and neighbors helping
- 782 Prospect received an interior makeover thanks to friends from Trinity Presbyterian Church and neighborhood volunteers
- Thanks to the makeover, the Kindergarten program now meets in a home-like setting
- The third Journey of Awesomeness Bike Ride, held in June, raised even more funds!
- Habitat for Humanity broke ground for the long-awaited Harmony Ridge development on the edge of our neighborhood
- The Perry Foundation awarded funds for buying a mini bus AND set up a challenge match for a second vehicle – if we raise $18,750 by late February!
- Building Goodness Foundation awarded a grant for further renovations at 782!
Notable Help Still Needed – Notable Opportunity for You to Join Us in this Work:
- Prayers for wisdom and direction for the Board & Search Committee as we hire a new Executive Director
- Storage space and moving helpers for downsizing our office space at Christian Aid
- Prayers for wisdom as we plan for Fellows/Internship Program for 2018-2019
- Prayers for wisdom as we continue to determine how to increase the space at 782
- Funding for additional positions to support the needs in the tutoring and mentoring programs: assistants to the
programs at Johnson, Walker, and kindergarten class; a dedicated coordinator to cover tutoring at both Walker
and Buford Middle Schools