Reporting to and working with an engaged Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and visionary responsibility for Charlottesville Abundant Life Ministries’ (Abundant Life) staff of 6 FTEs, its programs, and execution of its mission. The nonprofit Abundant Life’s mission is to demonstrate God’s love through holistic community development in the Prospect neighborhood—a diverse, low-income area of approximately 400 households. For 21 years it has been doing this using the Christian Community Development model (CCD). With 180 families served by a range of resident-driven programs (after school tutoring and mentoring for grades K-12, and a financial literacy program for adults, among others), a volunteer pool of 115, and a budget of $475,000, Abundant Life has a rich history beginning as a partnership between a few community residents and a local church, Trinity Presbyterian. Over the years, we have received support through strong partnerships with several churches, agencies, businesses, other ministries, schools, the community, and individuals.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure ongoing and consistent fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Articulate and communicate Abundant Life’s vision outside the organization to maintain and deepen ties with current supporters, and expand individual and institutional financial support bases
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan to secure financial support from individuals (current donors, future donors, including constituents like alumni and former volunteers), foundations and corporations
- Actively engage and energize Abundant Life volunteers, Board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders
- Build credibility and relationships within the community we serve
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
- Articulate and communicate Abundant Life’s vision outside the organization, inspire and recruit serving groups, and develop and maintain mutually-beneficial ministry with our partners
- Ensure ongoing and consistent quality of financial administration and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Oversee Abundant Life’s financial health, including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization
- Oversee fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintains the organization in a positive financial position
- Sign all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization
- Articulate and communicate Abundant Life’s vision within the organization to maintain and sustain ministry focus, personnel stability and growth, and financial health
- Build productive relationships with leadership and staff
- Liaison between the Board and Abundant Life staff to facilitate mutual understanding and ownership of Abundant Life’s vision, purposes, goals, expectations, and standards
- Provide effective supervision and support for Abundant Life’s Chief Operations Officer and any other directly supervised staff
- Oversee the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff
- Maintain, develop and expand the vision for Abundant Life’s ministry and mission with input from the Board of Directors, Abundant Life staff and neighborhood participants
- Ensure effective systems to track program goals and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the Board, funders, and other constituents
- Oversee Abundant Life’s long-term strategic planning processes
- Work with the development committee of the Board on a new development plan and target goals and metrics to track the plan
- Re-engage residents in conversations about possible new programs
- Support efforts to hire and fund a new Director of Girls’ Programming
- Oversee the development and funding of a residential internship program to provide support staff for programs and training for the next generation of CCD workforce
- Oversee the process of developing land bought by the ministry to have a home in the neighborhood
Qualifications & Experience
The ED will be thoroughly committed to Abundant Life’s mission and be familiar with or willing to learn the CCD model of community development. All candidates should have proven leadership and fundraising experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 5 years of senior management experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations in the nonprofit sector
- Successful resource development, fundraising, and philanthropy experience
- Sustained experience with budget management (6 figures)
- 10+ years of youth, urban, or other related ministry involvement
- The ability to translate vision into achievable strategic objectives
- Strong marketing and public relations, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- The ability to effectively delegate to the Chief Operations Officer
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate quality, data-driven programs
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing Board member relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and cross-cultural skills with a social sensitivity to read situations accurately and respond effectively
- The ideal candidate will have experience in a personal support-raising, faith-based missions context
We are offering market competitive total compensation.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by January 5, 2018.
Abundant Life is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Abundant Life is a drug-free workplace.
We believe diversity of staff, thought, approach, and experience provides the optimal environment for our growth, learning, and success. Abundant Life seeks a diverse pool of applicants—all are encouraged to apply.